It occurs to me that there might eventually be eyes that land on this blog because they're hoping to determine what might be needed to take on a project such as this themselves. I don't imagine I'll know for certain all that's required until I have the dollhouse in front of me and am finally digging in. Still, I can pass along what I've made a priority thus far.

Keep in mind, the Hobbies of Dereham Special Georgian No. 244 is pretty big, with 4 interior rooms and 2 hallways, one with a stairwell on one side of the house and another 4 interior rooms and 1 more hallway on the other. It also has a removable roof, which I'm hoping to utilize as a rooftop garden.




There's a certain level of anticipation that comes with a project of this scope. I've gone ahead and purchased quite a number of items already. Some may end of up working and others may not. I can always list any items that don't work out on EBay or elsewhere, but having these things on hand will help me get a better handle on how to proceed once I have the dollhouse here with me. These items are listed in no particular order:

1. A family of Erna Meyer posable dolls (I've ordered a father, mother, toddler son, toddler daughter, as well as a baby. Again, the dollhouse has so many rooms it only make sense to fill it with family. I'd also like to order a grandfather and grandmother later down the line. These are out of Germany and therefore ship from outside the USA. For now, the main family is enough. I'll keep searching EBay etc for good deals on grandparents in the interim, but most of what I've seen is simply not in the shape I'd like to make a move on purchasing at this stage. I'll either buy new or hope to find a quality pair at some later point)

2. For the 8 main rooms, I'm considering and have ordered items for: 1. Master Bedroom 2. Toddler Girl Bedroom 3. Toddler Boy Bedroom 4. Infant Nursery 5. Kitchen 6. Bathroom 7. Office 8. Sitting/Music Room. If there's space for it, I'll put a washer/dryer combo in the lower hallway that does not have the stairwell in it. The other two hallways are small and so I'll most likely only use those for such things as putting a family pet or hanging coats, etc. I've also purchased two DIY kits and some outdoor pieces for use on the rooftop garden, assuming the space allows for it (it is ultimately dependant on how much room exists under the rooftop)
3.Wallpaper and Hardwood Flooring Paper for all rooms
4. Beadboard in case I want to add that in a room or two
5. Chair rail in case I find use for it
6. Window framing (not for my actual dollhouse windows but because I have an ideaboard where I'm hoping to make use of them, if it works spacially)
7. Glue (wood and craft)
8. Multi-purpose crafts sticks for attempting to make flower window boxes
9. Flowers to fill the window boxes
10. Coffee stir sticks (may sound strange but I have designs on attempting to make all new windows out of these)
11. Mechanical pencils and ruler
12. Dollhouse stained glass window book (the currenht exterior doors have a rather boring painted space meant to be glass - I'm hoping to spice that up with a stained glass "look" - or replace those doors altogether; but again. these doors can't be purchased commercially as the original custom sizing is off. Will have to see which way I go once I have the house)
13. Flex Putty Knife (for scraping remaining paint and wallpaper)
14. X-Acto Knife
15. Various dollhouse accessories such as fireplaces, childrens toys, kitchenware, curtains, etc

Still to purchase:

1. Fine Grit Sandpaper
2. Kilz Max Stain and Odor Blocking Primer (I've mentioned the dollhouse has been sitting in the southern heat. In the south, this also means bugs have likely had their way with it at some point as well. If I'm going to give the dollhouse new life, I need to make sure I start by protecting the foundation)
3. Premium Paint Brushes as well as a quality set of art brushes for the finer details
4. Grandmother Stover's Glue (for the wallpaper)
5. Multi-surface painting tape
6. Dollhouse Miniature Plexigass sheets (for replacing the windows)
7. Colored paint pots
8. Ceiling wallpaper (I have my eyes on a white or ivory embossed paper)
9. Exterior paint or brick (I'm currently leaning toward a detailed white brick paper)
10. Exterior slate roof tiles or paper
11. Replacement windows (If I'm unable to complete this task myself to a satisfactory degree)
12. 11 Interior doors (these are not of a size that will be commercially available - I either need to make them myself or find someone who can do that for me)
13. Trim pieces such as crown molding if I go that direction
14. Light fixtures (it's already wired for electricity and if my husband or I can ensure it's working properly or need to rewire altogether, I'll need new light fixtures)
15. Door knobs for all those interior doors (likely exterior knobs as well as it appears the current doors don't have them)
16. Erna Meyer Grandparent Dolls

My general plan of action:

1. Figure out how to fix/replace windows
2. Vaccuum/clean interior/exterior
3. Remove pieces that can safely be removed and later put back in, such as windows and any trim, etc
4. Strip/Sand Interior and Exterior
5. Apply painters tape where needed and Apply Kilz Primer
6. Assess and fix electrical wiring
7. Apparently there were a few pieces of furniture that came with the house but they require fixing -assess and fix where able
8. Add wallpaper and flooring
9. Add interior trimwork
10. Add doors and windows
11. Add curtains to removable facades
12. Add exterior brickwork or paint and roofing details (slate or paper)
13. Decorate



Comments

Popular posts from this blog