The family vacation/road trip that will allow me to retrieve the dollhouse is still months from taking place, which means I've spent a lot of time thinking about the challenge ahead. It's both invigorating and overwhelming looking at all the ways in which others have accomplished this same task, and there are some positively inspiring and gorgeous dollhouses out there! I'm no expert and not looking to reinvent the wheel here, but I don't want to simply throw a coat of paint on the thing and call it a day, either.

I've been busy making lists of the supplies I'll need and even made several idea boards and wish lists, but at the end of the day, it doesn't do much to satisfy the desire of actually beginning the process. I decided I needed something bigger in the interim to help scratch the itch.

There's this little space under the removable roof:



My thought is that it would be a nice way to pay tribute to my own mother by ultimately turning that space into some type of a rooftop garden. Not having the dollhouse here to help me get a handle on what will fit under the roof spacially, I bought a DIY kit of sorts. It isn't in the same 1:12 scale, but smaller, so even if it doesn't fit in the end, putting the kit together will be good practice. I'm hoping it will help me get over some of the nerves I have about ruining the whole thing when the real work finally commences.

One of the first things I noticed when I opened the kit was that it requires painting several pieces and that a little pot of white paint had been included for that purpose. I did put down one coat before deciding that I wanted to go a different direction. A rooftop garden would not be so pristine so I split the difference and went with a light ivory color instead.



Aside from painting, I've managed to put the downspout together, as well as finish one little plant stand and a piece which is meant to appear to have drawers.


I don't have a lot of "me" time these days and my daughter would want to "help" if she saw me working on it, which would only cause more frustration for us both, so it's best to spend our time together doing things she'd actually enjoy. I will just have to be realistic about the length of time it will take to complete this kit. Every little piece appears to require scissors, paint or glue, turning of wire or bead, and even working with fabric. I'm new to this sort of craft and spend more time than I'd like simply hoping to decipher the pictures of what exactly it is they're instructing me to do, but I'll get there.

It's about the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog