It has been a little while since I last posted and that's because I'm awaiting delivery of supplies for my latest brainstorm project. While I wait to get ahold of the Hobbies dollhouse, I feel the need to fill my time with learning opportunities. After taking on the 1:24 scale garden and nordic vacation kits, I must now veer into the 1:12 scale territory.

When I first started thinking about how I might go about tackling the renovation or remodel of the Hobbies house, I found a common theme was mentioned by others in both blogs and articles; one that suggested a newbie shouldn't simply jump into building or renovating a large dollhouse if they don't already have previous experience with working with dollhouses and miniatures. So now, I'm moving on to the concept of a 1:12 scale room. Taking on one room will give me a better idea of what it will mean to work in a larger room by room layout like those in the Hobbies house. I think.

After giving it some considerable thought, I've finally decided on what sort of "room" I'd like to complete. There are so many to choose from! Did I want a music room, a book store, a sweet shoppe? In the end, I wanted to do something a little different. After all, if I'm going to invest time and money, it should be something that speaks to me.

I love the movie Practical Magic, which is loosely based on the Alice Hoffman novel of the same title. I thought I'd go for a spin on that. Not quite a magic shop but more of a lovely shop that would appeal to women while also featuring an apothecary and assortment of "magic" and magically "practical" goods. That's the plan in my head, anyway.

To that end, while I wait for my "room" and supplies to arrive, here are two of the projects I've begun working on.

1. The first is a tray (I plan to make a number of them) that will sit on the store room shelves to hold "goods" to be sold. I made it out of cardboard, decorative tape, and glue.



2. Air dry clay to make candles and soaps. These are currently drying out and may or may not work in the end, but I'm posting the in-progress picture here. We will just have to wait and see...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog