Let's see, I left off with basically everything finished, both inside and out. However, I did have that little flag to complete. I'll get to that in just a moment. I'd previously ordered this little plaque off Etsy (see the resources page for more information on that, once I've posted); and you may have already noticed it on the exterior of the house. I decided I wanted to add a similar one to the flag, however when the second arrived, it was slightly larger. I carefully pulled the first one off, replaced the one on the exterior with the larger version since it actually seemed better proportioned for this spot:



Then scored the sides of the flag so the plaque would fit snugly onto its surface, painted it in coordinating colors, and then glued the plaque into place:


After adding all of the furniture and accessories, I decided that I also wanted a shelf for the laundry room as well as an accessories tray for the bathtub. These were my final projects:


I purchased the unfinished wood shelf with pegs from an online retailer, but painted it white.


I then made the little tray out of pieces of scrap wood. I just scored in small handle-holds with an X-Acto Knife, then glued and painted. I made the candle and soap out of polymer clay, and the little lotion bottle is a plastic piece with decorative tape:


And with that, The Hobbies of Dereham Special Georgian No. 244 Dollhouse Renovation was Complete!

I created a compilation video of the rehab project from beginning to end. It has some commentary and a bit of advice and/or tutorial. This one takes us through to the completion of the exterior:

https://youtu.be/BjZgyGMlac0

The second video is simply a fun tour of the interior, no commentary; but it does showcase the rooftop garden as well as several simulations with the Erna Meyer Dolls:

https://youtu.be/-uZ0tfxgsTU

I imagine there may be other little projects in the future, but for now, I feel a huge sense of relief and accomplishment that this dollhouse is now complete. My daughter seems thrilled with it. She's too young to play with it unsupervised, but she's usually good about asking if we can go play with it together. She especially likes to stand on top of a dresser and request which pieces she'd like me to take down off of the rooftop garden so she can examine them more closely.

For those of you who have found some inspiration, I will make a follow-up post to this one, providing as many resources and links as I can recall. Please, don't let an old dollhouse sit unloved and gathering dust. I guarantee there's a child somewhere out there who will enjoy hour upon hour playing with it. That child may not even be your own. And so I implore you: if you happen to own one yourself that is unlikely to see the light of day, act now to get it into the hands of a child. You just might be providing them with their greatest childhood escape!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog